As businesses and organizations across the country adjust to new realities during the COVID-19 pandemic, many Canadians are facing new stressors. It’s important to take small breaks during the day to support mental health and well-being.
That’s why we have partnered with Workplace Strategies for Mental Health, compliments of Canada Life, to send 270 Break Boxes to businesses and their employees across Canada. These practical resource kits were designed to help support positive mental health at work and at home through a variety of individual and team-based activities.
Break Box is a tangible reminder to take a break and focus on your mental health. Taking breaks can help improve things like decision-making, creativity, focus and information retention.
What’s inside a Break Box?
- A checklist for how to support teammates and employees as they transition back to work
- Team activities that help teams talk openly about stress and identify healthy coping strategies
- A virtual scavenger hunt for a light-hearted break – this is perfect for when teams are working in different locations
- Plan for resilience that teaches readers how to build resilience and bounce back from stressful situations
- Colouring pages and pencil crayons to use for a calm, quiet break
- Kudos cards to recognize teammates for a job well done
- Fill-in-the-blanks sticky notes to help spread positive messages and ideas for managing stress
- A stress ball that can also act as a smartphone holder
- A Workplace Strategies for Mental Health poster to display at home or at work
- Workplace Strategies for Mental Health inspirational postcards to collect, display and share with colleagues and friends
If you’d like to receive a Break Box, please fill out this form. As quantities are limited, we can’t guarantee that everyone who signs up for a box will receive one.
If you aren’t able to receive a box or prefer to access materials online, some of the resources from Break Box can be found at clwsmh.com/digitalbreakbox
Join the conversation!
We hope you enjoy your Break Box! Be sure to share photos of your box and how you and your team are using it on social media using #breakforyoursake – you can also tag us at @CdnChamberofCom, @workplace_MH and @canadalifeco.
- To keep learning about mental health and well-being, or to sign up to receive free mental health tips and resources, visit Canada Life’s Workplace Strategies for Mental Health website.
- If you’re interested in learning more about psychological health and safety, you can also take a look at Guarding Minds at Work and the Psychologically Safe Leader Assessment. These free resources can help you examine your workplace and take effective action.
Visit our Health and Safety page to access additional mental health resources from the Mental Health Commission of Canada, Morneau Shepell and Sun Life.